Tuesday, July 4, 2017

A focus on mindfulness


























I have mild anxiety (who doesn't?) which doesn't severely affect my every day life but has definitly caused me to play it safe and never really strive after anything big. Sometimes I question whether this is actually anxiety or just my personality. I decided quite easily that I wasn't going to try to fix it with medication as I didn't believe for myself that it was necessary. I did try natural remedies through a naturopath for a little while & I saw a psychologist once but it didn't really seem worth the money for me & I kind of felt that I could easily work on these things myself.

I'm not going to go into the details of it but I've made a bit of progress on my own over the years but it's still something that I deal with on a daily basis. Which is why I've decided to focus this month on bringing more mindfulness into my life.

Mindfulness is the practise of being present. Living in the now. Not worrying about the past, or being fearful of the future. Since anxiety usually stems from fear or worry about the future I think mindfulness will be a really useful tool for me.

This month I'm attempting to meditate for 10 minutes every day & eat and sleep without a television on. I know that this will be hard for me. Sometimes the best part of my day is collapsing into bed with my Netflix or tuning out at dinner time & rewatching episodes of How I met your mother. BUT that also means I'm not paying that much attention to Madeleine at dinner time and I'm fighting sleep to just watch "one more episode".

I am going to really try but I'm not going to be aiming for perfection here. I'm not going to beat myself up if after a long stressful day I decide there is nothing I want to do more than go and watch Netflix in bed. The point is to just make healthier more mindful choices and sometimes that will mean accepting I'm in a shit mood and doing what I can to deal with that. And isn't that exactly what mindfulness is? Being able to acknowledge and accept your present state.

To go along with this I'm also reading Mindfulness by Gil Hasson. I thought this would be helpful in keeping my interest in this area and give me a few ideas as well. 

I'm curious to know if anyone else makes attempts at being more mindful and how you go about doing that?

No comments:

Post a Comment