Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Breaking up with social media

























I've been wondering if I should quit Instagram. I've quit twitter and I've quit Facebook and I feel really good about having done so. I've always loved Instagram the most of all the social media platforms but as I've fallen deeper and deeper into the "creative instagram community" I seem to feel like I need to be doing what everyone I follow is doing.

Majority of the people I follow on instagram are absolutely wonderful, inspiring people. Most of them have created a business out of instagram or out of blogging and for quite a while now I've been feeling as if I have to do the same in order to be happy. Which is absurd. It's definitly become a thing for people who make a living online to "market" their lifestyle to everyone else. To constantly remind everyone that running an online business has given them flexibility and freedom and the ability to spend more time with their kids and create their own working hours. If you work as hard as they do you can have their amazing life too. I don't think there is anything wrong with these successful people talking about their success at all. I am so very happy for them and they do really inspire other parts of my life in some ways. But I think seeing this stuff constantly is becoming unhealthy for me.

I only have myself to blame for feeling this way. If you think about it, I'm the one who follows these accounts. I'm the one who checks instagram and bombards myself with these things multiple times every single day. It's like I am setting myself up to have these feelings of inadequacy. 

I didn't even realise until writing and re reading this a few times that this has been affecting me so much. I'm leaning even more towards wanting to get off social media completely now. Yes. I think that settles it. I'm definitly going to be missing from instagram for a while.

Have you ever had to take a step back from the online world?

No comments:

Post a Comment